Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Why I post provinces in the order I do.

I tend to post provinces in a certain order. Newfoundland, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick... Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC... Quebec and Ontario.

You may wonder why. I have a simple answer.

It's a compromise.

There are three common ways to list the provinces. One of them is alphabetical. I dislike this strongly, so, I ignore it. The other two are geographically, either east to west or west to east, and by order of population.

Geographic would see the following:

NL, PE, NS, NB, QC, ON, MB, SK, AB, BC

Population would see the following:

PE, NL, NB, NS, SK, MB, AB, BC, QC, ON


What you may notice is that there are a few swaps. PE and NL. NB and NS. SK and MB. In each case the province to the east (in each pair) has a few more people. You also have a pair of pairs. NL, PE, NS, NB, are the 4 smallest provinces, and the 4 eastmost provinces. BC, AB, MB, SK are the 4 'middle' population provinces, and the 4 western provinces. QC and ON are the 2 'middle' provinces geographically, the the 2 largest provinces demographically.

As such I developed a "compromise" list.

You start geographically in Newfoundland. After reaching New Brunswick, you hop over the two largest provinces, landing in Manitoba, and continue heading west.


What this does is allow me to present a list in both geographic and demographic order.


Remember too that I frequently post maps. One map has all 4 atlantic provinces (32 ridings) and another has MB and SK, as well as the Territories (31 ridings) meaning that I can do 6 provinces, 2 maps, and 63 ridings first. I follow this with Alberta (34) and BC (42). before going to Quebec (78) and Ontario (121)

As such this allows me to 'ramp up the excitement' as I 'ramp up' the workload on myself.

1 comment:

  1. A note that I will be doing a Saturday post here, on my personal blog, at 7:30 am, that's already written and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete